Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why I believe...

Why I believe:

My children. As I watch my children grow and learn, I think of how it all began. A little cluster of cells that grew inside my body for 9 months, then let my body know when they were ready to come into the world (well, with Chloe at least). The instinct to suckle at my breast, their tiny hands, feet, fingernails, etc. As I look at my children, and feel an overwhelming sense of unconditional love, I think about where those instincts come from. Maybe I’m naive to think my emotional and physical instincts (love, compassion, protectiveness, nurture, etc.) were deliberate instead of a product of happenstance.

Nature. Where did it all come from? A big bang? The whole world and everything in it created from a single organism? The complexity of even a strawberry makes me think there HAS to be something much bigger at work here. The inner-workings of the human body, photosynthesis, the water cycle: all things that make me question the single organism argument. I don’t know....maybe I’m simple minded. Maybe I’m weak and need a “crutch” to stand on when it comes to creation. Maybe I’m unintelligent to think that an almighty God is at work here, instead of a random bang in the sky that came from essentially nothing.

My husband. Maybe we’re just compatible. Maybe we have similar interests and personalities, and therefore make a good pair. Maybe I’m not strong enough of a person to accept the fact that it is all coincidence. Maybe I need to believe in a higher being because I’m weak and need to give someone else the power because I can’t handle it, or feel undeserving of it.

I believe because I’ve been spoken to by the Lord. I believe because I can see Him at work in my life. Some may call that coincidence. Some may say that I’m giving credit to a ‘god’ for the things that I did, or that would have happened regardless. But I call it having faith in an almighty power. Maybe if I hadn’t felt His presence, seen His will at work, heard His voice and urging in my heart...Maybe then I would think there might be something else at work here. Maybe I really am so simple minded and weak that I need to believe in a God that saves. Maybe. But I do believe. I believe in an all knowing, all seeing, POWERFUL God. And I thank Him daily for my blessings and for saving my soul. And if that makes me any less of a person in the eyes of the world, then that is a trade off I am happy to make. Because at the end of the day, I am responsible for my own destiny. And I chose life. Everlasting life.

2 comments:

  1. Stacy-I think it takes way more faith not to believe. :) I don't understand either how someone can look at a newborn baby that was, just 9 mos ago, a ball of cells dividing like crazy...and not believe that God is shaping and molding that child for the purpose He has planned! Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord. Plans to give you hope and a future. Plans to prosper you, not to harm you. (I think I got it right)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara that's true for me at least...it would take much more faith NOT to believe. And I love that verse!

    ReplyDelete